In this post I’m putting together the top five players I would like to see the Steelers take with thier first round pick. Now this has to be within reason, obviously the Steelers would love Bradley Chubb or Roquan Smith, but that’s just not going to happen. This is a list of my favorite players who actually have a chance to make it to Steelers.
- Harold Landry – EDGE – Boston College: I admit he’s a bit of astretch to make it out of the top 15, let alone all the way to 28. Some mocks have Landry as far as the mid-twenties though. This is the kind of dominant pass-rusher this team has lacked for years. If not for playing injured in 2017, Landry would certainly been a top ten pick in this draft. Personally, I think the Steelers should trade up to get him. This would be the steal of the draft if he fell to Pittsburgh in this draft.
- Leighton Vander Esch – LB – Boise St.: There’s been some buzz that Vander Esch could go much earlier than originally expected. Still, I believe he’s the favorite to land in Pittsburgh of anyone on his list. Kevin Colbert and company have shown plenty of interest in this player. As I’ve said leading up to the draft, if Leighton Vander Esch is there at 28 he will be the selection.
- Derrius Guice – RB – LSU: There is a real possibility that players like Vander Esch, Evans, and Landry are all off the board by the time it’s the Steelers turn to select. If that’s the case, I’d turn the tables and go offense. Don’t waste a pick and reach for a defensive player, while a premium offensive talent like Guice is still available. Le’veon Bell will walk after this season anyway, why not prepare for the future. Better yet as I’ve suggested in the past. trade him and get assets before he’s lost for nothing.
- Lamar Jackson – QB – Louisville: Ok, all these players are off the board and the Steelers are ready to draft…..now what? If Lamar Jackson is still there, I say swing for the fences. Pittsburgh can develop him as a quarterback, while using his extraordinary athleticism as a receiver or running back from time to time. If all goes well, the team could have a seemless transition at quarterback in a few years.
- Lorenzo Carter – LB – Georgia: If Pittsgurgh is going to reach for a defensive player in the first round, this is the guy. Carter’s combine numbers were off the charts good. He played outside linebacker in college, but a move to inside might make him much more valuable. On paper, he has the type of athletic traits the Steelers had in Ryan Shazier. It’s a bit of a risk, but one I feel worth taking in a draft weak in first round talent.