1. Xavier Grimble – Now that Matt Spaeth has been let go, there is an opening for the third tight end position. The buzz for Grimble has been growing all offseason. He has the build and the athleticism for the job, he just needs to show consistency if he expects to beat out David Johnson.
2. Anthony Chickillo – It’s early, but the reviews have been fantastic for the second year pass rusher. Chickillo has all but sewn up a roster spot as a reserve linebacker and special teamer. What the preseason will show is whether he can compete for snaps on defense. He could supplant Arthur Moats in the outside linebacker rotation.
3. Dustin Vaughan – Word out of Steelers camp is Vaughan is getting more reps then Bruce Gradkowski. All we know about the young quarterback is he has a strong arm. Preseason games will determine if he can become the teams third string QB.
4. Javon Hargrave – Hargrave has been eating up Pittsburgh’s interior lineman in camp. It will be intriguing to see how he fares against other teams in preseason. This is a player who had 29 1/2 sacks in his last two seasons in college, albeit against lesser competition at South Carolina St.
5. Sammie Coates – He has big shoes to fill replacing the electric Martavis Bryant. Coates has been the talk of camp because of how improved he is over this time last year. He should be the big play threat in the Steelers potent offense.