Version 2.0 of my mock draft comes after the combine and the opening of free agency. Much has changed, including the Dolphins and Eagles swapping first round picks.
1. Tennessee Titans – OT Laremy Tunsil: The Titans need to protect Mariota, who took a beating last season. Tunsil is the best rated tackle to come out of college in years.
2. Cleveland Browns – QB Carson Wentz: The Browns are pretty much starting over having lost most of their own free agents, and not signing any to replace them. Getting a franchise quarterback is a good start.
3. San Diego Chargers – CB Jalen Ramsey: I originally had the Chargers taking Bosa here. Ramsey wowed teams at the combine, making him hard to pass up….The Chargers won’t.
4. Dallas Cowboys – DE Joey Bosa: Bosa steps right in and replaces Greg Hardy, who was a bust in Dallas.
5. Jacksonville Jaguars – LB Myles Jack: Wide receiver still a possibility with this pick, but an athletic linebacker like Jack is better value.
6. Baltimore Ravens – DE Shaq Lawson: Lawson gives the Ravens a young pass rusher to groom behind the aging Terrell Suggs.
7. San Francisco 49ers – QB Jared Goff: New coach Chip Kelly gets a quarterback to begin rebuilding the 49ers.
8. Philadelphia Eagles – OT Ronnie Stanley: Eagles make a great trade dumping two bad contracts to the Dolphins to move up in the draft. In return they get a cornerstone left tackle.
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – WR Laquon Treadwell: Jamies Winston gets a big time weapon to use on offense.
10. New York Giants – Vernon Hargreaves: Giants continue their defensive rebuild. Janoris Jenkins and Hargreaves give the Giants a formidable secondary.
11. Chicago Bears – DE Deforest Buckner: Bears fill a big void at defensive end with Buckner.
12. New Orleans Saints – CB Mackensie Alexander: Alexander can only help one of the worst secondaries in the NFL.
13. Miami Dolphins – OT Jason Spriggs: Dolphins added several players on defense in free agency. Spriggs sures up a weak offensive line.
14. Oakland Raiders – LB Noah Spence: Khalil Mack is emerging as one of the best pass rushers in the game. Add Noah Spence to the other side and watch out.
15. Los Angeles Rams – WR Corey Coleman: Strong rumors that the Rams will eventually bring in RG3 as their quarterback. Coleman adds a vertical threat to the Rams offense.
16. Detroit Lions – LB Reggie Ragland: Lions are elated to get premier linebacker at this point of the draft.
17. Atlanta Falcons – LB Darron Lee: Lee is an athletic linebacker who steps right into the Falcons defense.
18. Indianapolis Colts – RB Ezekiel Elliot: Having a good running game can take some of the pressure off Andrew Luck. Elliot is far and away the best back in the draft.
19. Buffalo Bills – DE/DT Robert Nkemdiche: Nkemdiche had his share of off field problems at Mississippi St. That might scare some teams off, but Rex Ryan won’t shy away from this defensive talent.
20. New York Jets – DT Sheldon Rankins: With Damon Harrison leaving via free agency, the Jets have a hole at defensive tackle. Rankins is a beast and is probably an upgrade over Harrison.
21. Washington Redskins – OLB Leonard Floyd: Redskins continue to build on a successful 2015 bringing in a top notch edge rusher.
22. Houston Texans – TE Hunter Henry: In my first mock draft I had Houston going quarterback here. Now that the Texans have signed Brock Osweiler, Henry gives them a tight end to throw to.
23. Minnesota Vikings – OG Josh Garnett: Vikings snap up the best guard in the draft to improve their O-line.
24. Cincinnati Bengals – WR Will Fuller: The Bengals lost Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu to free agency. Fuller helps right away to fill the losses.
25. Pittsburgh Steelers – QB Paxson Lynch: With Houston and possibly L.A. filling their quarterback needs in free agency, the Steelers have a tough decision to make. Do they draft for need and take a defensive player, or do they take a potential franchise quarterback to groom behind Big Ben? In past posts I’ve suggested Pittsburgh should draft a QB in the later rounds to start preparing Roethlisberger’s eventual replacement. I never thought a QB this good would be there at 25, Pittsburgh will be ecstatic to get Lynch here.
26. Seattle Seahawks – DL Kevin Dodd – Seahawks could use a running back with Marshawn Lynch retiring. With Ezekiel Elliot off the board, Seattle grabs a pass rusher to bolster the defensive line.
27. Green Bay Packers – WR Michael Thomas – It was clear to everyone that the Packers had a serious lack of weapons on offense. The Packers get a late round steal in Thomas, who could end up being Aaron Rogers number one option at receiver.
28. Kansas City Chiefs – OG Codey Whitehair – Kansas City fills a need at guard with Jeff Allen leaving through free agency.
29. Arizona Cardinals – C William Jackson – Jackson had a great combine and has moved himself into the first round. Arizona gets a big corner to add to there already impressive secondary.
30. Carolina Panthers – WR Corey Coleman – Carolina could use another reciever, Coleman gives them a speed threat on the outside.
31. Denver Broncos – QB Conor Cook – Manning and Osweiler are gone leaving Denver without a quarterback. The Broncos will add a veteran, and take Cook to be the eventual starter.